ETIXX – ENDURANCE
Ingredients: 35g powder contains: Maltodextrin 11.9 g – Sucrose 7 g – Fructose 7 g – Dextrose 4.9 g -Potassium phosphate – Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid – Sodium Chloride – Flavour – Magnesium citrate – Natural flavor – Lime juice powder
Isotonic sports drink rich in carbohydrates, with a 2:1 (glucose: fructose) sugar combination and with electrolytes.
- The 2:1 formula (maltodextrin: fructose) makes it possible to consume larger amounts of carbohydrates
- Sodium ensures that moisture is retained better in the body
and stimulates thirst
- Ideal isotonic thirst-quencher for hot weather
- pH-neutral to prevent upset stomach
- Choice of 4 flavors: orange, orange-mango, lemon and watermelon
During exercise, your body sweats to help regulate body temperature. This loss of fluid can be extremely detrimental to performance and therefore athletes must compensate by drinking to replace lost fluids. Not only that but when we sweat we lose key electrolytes such as potassium and magnesium which are essential for performance. They must also be replaced to encourage moisture retention and stimulate thirst.
In addition to this, performance in prolonged exercise is reliant on the availability of muscle glycogen and therefore it can be important to take on carbohydrates during exercise to replenish fuel stores. If no carbohydrates were consumed during prolonged or intense efforts, muscle glycogen stores would be depleted after approx. 90min. The amount of carbohydrate you should take during exercise depends on the length of the session or event.
- Exercises < 1h(15): not necessary to consume carbohydrates during exercise.
- Exercises 1-2h:30 g carbohydrates per hour exercise. (~500 ml Isotonic)
- Exercises 2-3h:60 g carbohydrates per hour exercise.(~1 L Isotonic)
- Exercises >2.5-3h: up to 90 g carbohydrates per hour exercise. (~Up to 1.5 L Isotonic)
The Etixx Isotonic contains both maltodextrin and fructose. Research has shown that consuming multiple sources of carbohydrates can increase the absorption of fuel into the body as they use different transporters to cross the intestinal wall (Jeukendrup 2010)1.
Therefore, during exercise, this would provide your body with more fuel in a shorter time compared to the ingestion of one sugar alone.
In the Etixx Isotonic formula, there is a 2:1 ratio of maltodextrin to fructose. This has the advantage that:
- more consumed carbohydrates are oxidized
- the stomach will empty faster
- fluid absorption is higher
- there is a lower risk of gastrointestinal complaints.
1 Jeukendrup A. Carbohydrate and exercise performance: the role of multiple transportable carbohydrates. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition & Metabolic Care 2010; 13(4): 452-457.