Endurance Isotonic Energy Gel
The ideal energy gel for exercise in hot weather.
- With electrolytes for optimal hydration
- With citrates to reduce acidification
- Can be used as an isotonic drink with lime flavor when dissolved in 350ml water
- Can be consumed with or without water
The amount of carbohydrate that you should take on during exercise will depend on the length of your training or competition.
- Exercises < 1h (15):not necessary to consume carbohydrates during exercise.
- Exercises 1-2h: 30 g carbohydrates per hour exercise.(~1 energy gel)
- Exercises 2-3h: 60 g carbohydrates per hour exercise.(~2 energy gels)
- Exercises >2.5-3h: up to 90 g carbohydrates per hour exercise.(~up to 3 energy gels)
The Etixx Isotonic Energy Gel is a unique sugar mixture that consists of high-speed sugars (glucose and maltose), semi-slow sugars (sucrose) and slow sugars (complex sugars). This means that the “triple action effect” (three-phase sugars) provides a quick energy boost, yet still provides energy over a long period of time (see figure). Moreover, glucose and fructose use different transport systems when they are absorbed into the body. This means that in total more carbohydrate can simultaneously enter the bloodstream when glucose and fructose are consumed together in comparison to when only one of the two sugars is consumed. The energy gel is a highly concentrated form of sugars meaning it contains large amounts of fuel. To get the same amount of carbohydrates from an energy drink you would have to drink large amounts of fluid which would increase the likelihood of GI distress. It also contains no added nutrients such as protein or fat which can slow the emptying of the stomach.
The Isotonic Energy Gel is ideal for endurance and strenuous exercise in hot weather and for athletes with high sweat rates. It also contains electrolytes and citrates. Electrolytes (sodium and potassium) are added to replace those lost through sweating. Sodium intake also helps to ensures that moisture is retained better in the body and stimulates thirst. This gel is isotonic (6.9% carbohydrate per 100 ml) when dissolved in 350 ml water and this leads to optimal absorption of moisture, carbohydrates and minerals. This gel can be consumed with or without water and therefore is ideal for carrying with you on training sessions when it can be hard to take supplies.